Geriatric Day Hospital
Important information about Geriatric Day Hospital Meditech Virtual Visits
Get more information
The Geriatric Day Hospital (GDH) is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. It is an assessment and treatment centre that provide comprehensive multidisciplinary assessment and/or treatment for older adults who are experiencing a change in function, memory, mood, mobility or have complex medical issues. helping seniors gain and maintain a healthy and independent lifestyle.
The centre serves seniors 65 years of age and older, who live in the community and require assessment, physiotherapy services including assessments with recommendations, and other treatments to help them remain independent in their home environment.
The GDH centre can conduct assessments in-person or virtually.
Do you, or someone you know have concerns regarding:
- Getting up out of a chair
- Understanding medications
- Preparing meals
- Bathing and dressing
- Safety at home
- Living arrangements
- Loneliness, isolation
- Maintaining social contacts
If so, the Geriatric Day Hospital can help you.
Referrals to the Geriatric Day Hospital can be made by:
- Your family physician
- The Geriatric Assessment Outreach Team (GAOT)
- Other healthcare professionals
- Caregivers or themselves
- For QCH inpatients: Patients who are already in hospital at QCH and in the process of being discharged can be referred to QCH’s GDH program using this GDH referral form.
- For QCH outpatient: For patients referred by their Physician or family. Referrals are made by completing the Central Intake for Specialize Geriatric Services (SGS) Referral Form either by phone, fax or online.
Please complete all fields providing additional information where appropriate by completing one of the following options: a PDF Referral Form, the Online Referral Form or by calling Central Intake at 613-761-4145.
You can fax the PDF referral form to Central Intake at 613-761-5388.
The older adult/caregiver will receive a call from a health professional at Central Intake for SGS to review the referral and discuss the action plan/referral destination.
The Mission Statement of the Geriatric Day Hospital
The Geriatric Day Hospital provides an inter-professional, specialized geriatric outpatient service. This service also provides an assessment and treatment program with a liaison to community support. We are accountable to the patient and community at large by adding value to the total patient experience.
If you should have any questions about the GDH program, or our referral process, please call the Geriatric Day Hospital at 613-721-3808.
Our team of health care professionals works with you, your family physician, your family members, and your caregiver to develop a care plan suited to your needs.
Day Hospital staff includes:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Physiotherapist (PT)
- Occupational Therapist (OT)
- Social Worker (SW)
- Administrative Assistant
The Patient’s Rights
- To be treated with courtesy and respect
- To be informed of your medical condition
- To make informed decisions about your course of treatment
Initial Assessment Appointment
- You will have an initial 1 - 1 1/2 hour assessment appointment with the Registered Nurse
- Your second assessment will be 1-1 1/2 hour assessment appointment with a Physician
- Further follow-up visits to GDH such as for physiotherapy, occupational therapy and social work will be personalized to the needs required of each patient
The Patient’s Responsibilities Upon Admission
- To keep your scheduled appointments
- Please report any COVID-19 symptoms upon screening
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel your transportation and call the Geriatric Day Hospital at 613-721-3808
Program Hours & Contact Information
- Appointment-based program
- Length of admission to program is personalized to the needs of each patient
Phone: 613-721-3808 Fax: 613-721-4767
Queensway Carleton Geriatric Day Hospital
2039 Robertson Road, Suite 100
Ottawa, ON K2H 8R2