As part of Queensway Carleton Hospital's Geriatric Program and Seniors Friendly Hospital Initiative, healthcare professionals have developed a guide to help you or a loved one reduce the risk of falls and thereby preventing serious injuries.
A Guide to Preventing Falls is one tool to help keep our loved ones independent and safe from injury.
Tips for Avoiding Falls
- Use your call bell if you feel weak, dizzy, or need help getting up.
- Always wear non-skid socks or shoes for walking.
- Never lean on items with wheels. They may roll away!
- Walkers/wheelchairs without brakes on.
- Pictograms describe your date transfer and are updated when necessary.
- Ask the team for support or instructions before transferring your loved one.
- Ring for help if your loved one has a care need.
- When leaving, ensure walking aids and call bells are within reach and bed at lowest position.
- Let staff know when spills happen so we can wipe them up right away.
- Remove clutter. Reduce tripping hazards!