The Geriatric Day Hospital (GDH) is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. It is a treatment centre helping seniors gain and maintain a healthy and independent lifestyle.
The centre serves seniors 65 years of age and older, who live in the community and require assessment, physiotherapy services including assessments with recommendations, and other treatments to help them remain independent in their home environment.
Do you, or someone you know have concerns regarding…
- Getting up out of a chair
- Understanding medications
- Preparing meals
- Bathing and dressing
- Safety at home
- Living arrangements
- Loneliness, isolation
- Maintaining social contacts
If so, the Geriatric Day Hospital can help you.
Referrals to the Geriatric Day Hospital can be made by:
- Your family physician
- The Geriatric Assessment Outreach Team (GAOT)
- Other healthcare professionals
- Here is a link to the GDH referral form
The Mission Statement of the Geriatric Day Hospital
The Geriatric Day Hospital provides an inter-professional, specialized geriatric outpatient service. This service also provides an assessment and treatment program with a liaison to community support. We are accountable to the patient and community at large by adding value to the total patient experience.
If you should have any questions about the GDH program, or our referral process, please call the Geriatric Day Hospital at 613-721-3808.
Our team of health care professionals work with you, your family physician, your family members and caregiver to develop a care plan suited to your needs.
Day Hospital staff includes:
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Physiotherapist (PT)
- Occupational Therapist (OT)
- Social Worker (SW)
- Recreation Therapist
The Patient’s Rights
- To be treated with courtesy and respect
- To be informed of your medical condition
- To make informed decisions about your course of treatment
Initial Assessment Appointment
You will have an initial 1 - 1 1/2 hour assessment appointment with the Physician and Registered Nurse.
The Patient’s Responsibilities Upon Admission
- To keep your scheduled appointments.
- If you are unable to attend, please cancel your transportation and call the Geriatric Day Hospital at 613-721-3808.
- Participate in therapeutic activities.
- Please bring a small, recent photo of yourself for our records.
Program Hours & Contact Information
Patients attend two half days per week, for a period of approximately 4 to 6 weeks. the length of time depends on the patient's needs.
Phone: 613-721-3808 Fax: 613-721-4767
Queensway Carleton Geriatric Day Hospital
2039 Robertson Road, Suite 100
Ottawa, ON K2H 8R2