Hospital Visiting Tips
If you have had a cold or gastro-intestinal bug within the last 3-4 days, you are asked to stay at home and refrain from visiting patients for their protection.
Please follow the hand hygiene instructions when entering the hospital and a patient room.
Children are the responsibility of the visitor not the nurses on the unit. Remember, children become bored very quickly. It's much better to have the child send their get well message with the designated visitor.
Floral arrangements or fruit baskets may not be appropriate for certain patients. It is often appropriate to check with the nursing unit first. If you visit when the Physician or other healthcare professionals are with the patient, please excuse yourself.
Childbirth Unit Hours
Childbirth Unit visiting hours
In-Patient Mental Health Hours:
- Weekdays 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Weekends 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
* Patients in this area do not have telephones in their room but if you would like to speak with a patient, please call 726-9877.
Medicine, Surgery, Rehabilitation & Geriatrics
- 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
* Consideration will be made for compassionate reasons. Please speak to your nurse.
- 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
* Family and care partner welcome any time. Please keep visits short.
The ICU environment can be very tiring for the patient due to a combination of factors. Rest plays an important part in the recovery of your family member and we ask your cooperation and understanding in the following hours and restrictions. Immediate family only - spouse, care partner, parents, son, daughter, brother and sister. No children under the age of 12. Two visitors at a time; maximum of 4 visitors per day. Infection Prevention and Control recommends no flowers or plants for patients in the ICU.
The hospital's cafeteria is located on level 1 in the original building. Breakfast and lunch are available Monday to Friday, from 6:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Healthy Foods Initiative
Queensway Carleton Hospital map.
Irving Greenberg Family Cancer Centre map.
Parking and Transportation
Proceeds from parking are re-invested in parking operations and patient care at the hospital.
Hospital visitors will access the easy-to-use automated parking system by following these steps:
- Entry Station: Retrieve a ticket as you enter the parking lot. You are asked to carry this ticket with you as you will require it at the Pay Station.
- Pay Station: A climate-controlled booth located at the front of the parking lot and a Pay Station inside the main entrance of the hospital enables visitors to access the Pay Station units. Visitors scan their ticket at the station and pay the amount shown by coins, bills, or credit card. The Pay Station machine issues an Exit Ticket required to leave the lot.
- Exit Station: Visitors will insert their Exit Ticket at the Exit Station. There is also an option at the Exit Station to pay by credit card, bypassing a stop at the Pay Station.
Parking rates are subject to change. The current parking rates as of June 2016 are -
0-15 mins: Free grace period
16-30 mins: $4
31-60 mins: $8
61-90 mins: $11
Daily maximum: $14 (valid until midnight)
5 non-consecutive days pass $35*
10 non-consecutive days pass $70*
30 non-consecutive days pass $150*
TOH-QCH inter-campus pass $97.50*
(Valid for 15 non-consecutive days between TOH and QCH)
*All multiuse passes have the following privileges:
• Valid for 1 year
• Good for 24 hour period with on/out usage
• Can share between visiting family members
• Cannot be retroactively applied to previous parking charges
QCH Parking Policy
Directions to QCH
If taking Hwy. 416 North, take the Hunt Club exit and head north on Cedarview Road. At the end of Cedarview Road, turn right on Baseline Road and the hospital will be on your left. Turn left at the first stop light - John Sutherland Drive - and follow directions to the parking lot.
If taking Hwy. 417 West, exit at Richmond Road and turn left on Richmond Road. Go to the second stop light and turn left onto John Sutherland Drive. Follow the roadway to the front of the hospital for parking facilities.
If arrivng by Hwy. 417 East, take the Acres Road exit ramp, turn right at the light and right again onto Richmond Road. Turn left at the next stop light - John Sutherland Drive - and follow the road to the front of the hospital.
OC Transpo bus routes 97, 118 and 152 provide access to the Hospital campus.