Visiting Patients at QCH
Queensway Carleton Hospital (QCH) has expanded 24/7 hours for patient’s designated Care Partners. As a patient and family centered hospital, the visitor hours are intended to encourage and support on-going presence for up to two (2) designated individuals, Care Partners, at the patient’s bedside with the exception of the Intensive Care Unit, Day Care Surgery Unit and Post Anesthesia Care Unit where space and the nature of the care limits this to one Care Partners. Care Partners are welcome to remain at the patient’s bedside 24 hours a day, according to a patient’s preference and may change daily as needed by the patient.
QCH recognizes the difference between Care Partners and visiting well-wishers and has collaborated with its Patient and Family Advisory Council, a group of dedicated volunteers with personal health care experiences at QCH, regarding the new visitor policy to ensure that it reflects patients’ and families’ needs.
We request that visitors be respectful of patients needs for treatment, therapies and require periods of rest to recover from their illness.
While there are no set times for visitors, they are encouraged to visit between 10:00am and 9:00pm and to check with the patients’ Care Partner prior to visiting. Care Partner presence and visitation polices are reviewed at times of increased risk. Patient access may be altered based on risk and patient needs (e.g. outbreak situations).
The safety and well being of our patients is our top priority. You can help keep our patients safe by:
- Following hand hygiene instructions when entering the hospital and a patient room. This includes regular use of hand washing stations.
- Postponing your visit if you have experienced cold or flu-like symptoms at any time in the past 72 hours.
- Keeping a close watch on children for their own safety, the safety of patients and of hospital staff.
- Consulting with unit staff before delivering floral arrangements or fruit baskets.
- Observing the hospital's scent-free policy.
- Respecting hospital staff as they work hard to care for our patients.
Childbirth Unit Visiting Hours
In-Patient Mental Health
Weekends & Statutory Holidays 9:00am -9:00pm
Please note that occasionally visiting hours may be restricted due to unforeseen situations on the unit. Speak to the patient’s nurse if you need to visit outside of these times or if special accommodations are required.
Patient Line: 613-721-2593 Call this number to speak to the patient, if they do not have access to a cell phone. This is a common phone line for all patients on the unit. Only patients answer this phone; you may tell whomever answers the phone the patient name and someone will call them to the phone or else leave a message.
Nursing Station: 613-721-2000 ext. 2860 Call this number to speak to a staff person. Keep in mind that the patient must give permission for staff to provide you with information regarding their care.
If a patient has been granted privileges to do so, they may leave the unit, but remain on hospital property, during personal times:
- Mon-Thurs: 7:30am-9:00am, 11:30am-1:00pm, and 4:00pm-10:00 pm
- Fridays: 7:30am-9:00am, 11:30am-1:00pm, and 2:00pm-10:00 pm
- Weekends & Statutory Holidays: 7:30 am to 10:00 pm
Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
The ICU environment can be very tiring for the patient due to a combination of factors. Rest plays an important part in the recovery of your family member and we ask your cooperation and understanding in the following hours and restrictions.
One Care Partner may stay at the patient’s bedside 24 hours-a-day. Please advise the nurse of the name of the Care Partner each day. Care Partners and family are encouraged to attend multidisciplinary rounds from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. each day but visitors may be limited during this time.
Visitors may visit Sunday through Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (we may limit the number at the bedside depending on the patient’s condition). Flowers and plants are not permitted in the ICU.
The hospital's cafeteria is located on Level 1 of the Main Building. Breakfast and lunch are available Monday to Friday, from 6:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Parking and Transportation
Proceeds from parking are re-invested in parking operations and patient care at the hospital.
Hospital visitors will access the easy-to-use automated parking system by following these steps:
- Entry Station: Retrieve a ticket as you enter the parking lot. Please keep this ticket with you.
- Pay Station: A climate-controlled booth located at the front of the main parking lot and a Pay Station located inside the main entrance of the hospital enables visitors to pay for parking.
- Visitors insert their ticket at the station and pay the amount shown by coins, bills, or credit card. The Pay Station machine issues an Exit Ticket required to leave the lot.
- Exit Station: Visitors will insert their exit ticket at the exit gate There is also an option at the Exit Station to pay by credit card, bypassing a stop at the Pay Station.
Parking rates are subject to change. The current parking rates as of April 1, 2017 are:
SINGLE USE PASSES
0-15 mins: Free grace period
16-30 mins: $4
31-60 mins: $8
61-90 mins: $11
Daily maximum: $14 (valid until midnight)
Same day pass $14
30 consecutive days pass $85
5 non-consecutive days pass $35*
10 non-consecutive days pass $70*
30 non-consecutive days pass $150*
TOH-QCH inter-campus pass $97.50*
(Valid for 15 non-consecutive days between The Ottawa Hospital and QCH)
*All multi-use passes have the following privileges:
- Good for 24 hour period with in/out usage
- Can share between visiting family members
- Cannot be retroactively applied to previous parking charges
Directions to QCH
If taking Hwy. 416 North, take the Hunt Club exit and head north on Cedarview Road. At the end of Cedarview Road, turn right on Baseline Road and the hospital will be on your left. Turn left at the first stop light - John Sutherland Drive - and follow directions to the parking lot.
If taking Hwy. 417 West, exit at Richmond Road and turn left on Richmond Road. Go to the second stop light and turn left onto John Sutherland Drive. Follow the roadway to the front of the hospital for parking facilities.
If arriving by Hwy. 417 East, take the Acres Road exit ramp, turn right at the light and right again onto Richmond Road. Turn left at the next stop light - John Sutherland Drive - and follow the road to the front of the hospital.
OC Transpo bus routes 97, 118 and 152 provide access to the Hospital campus.